Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Christing for Tuesday April 9th, 2013


Tuesday:

Yesterday we touched on the causes of loneliness. Today we will touch on the first two causes; transition and separation.
Life is full of transitions, from childhood on through adulthood. Starting school can be lonely. Ending school can be lonely. Moving away from home, getting a new job, changing jobs or retiring from a job can al be lonely. Loneliness can be from the loss of a loved one or as we get older, loved ones and friends. Paul was at a transition in his life as he sat in a cell in Rome. He knew that the end was near:

“For I am ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the Faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a Crown of Righteousness, which the Lord, Righteous Judge, shall give me as that day…”  II Timothy 4:6-8

The other is separation, being isolated from those that we love. It may be temporary, traveling away from your family for work, hunting or anything else. Or it may be involuntary, such as losing a loved one to death, either way we need people. Just think, in prison, which is a punishment imposed by the state for crimes committed, is by design punishment that entails being separated from others, especially those that we love. Furthermore, when people in jail need to be punished what do they do? They place them in solitary confinement; away form everyone, even other criminals. We are designed to be with people.

“Do your diligence to come shortly to me: for Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Cescens to Galatia (France?) Titus unto Dalmatia (Yugoslavia). Only Luke is with me. II Timothy 4:9-11

“The cloak that I left at Troas with Carpus, when you come, bring with you, and the Books, but especially the Parchments.” II Timothy 4:13

Paul was nearing the end of his life and was reaching out to those that he loved and loved him. Is there anyone in the end of their lives that love you or that you love? Have you or are you reaching out to them? Do you know that more than 60% of all nursing home residents have no visitors?

No comments:

Post a Comment